Thursday, September 13, 2007

I <3 Trains...

...and so do all of you, apparently. (If by "all of you" I mean the 4 people who regularly read/comment on my blog + the random interlopers I recruited w/ my direct e-mail campaign.)

It seems like the train idea is the big winner overall for birthday ideas. I couldn't be happier about that outcome. I was afraid everyone would shoot that down since I kinda assume I'm the only "train buff" in the group. Usually train buffs (don't you love that term?) are retired old men who play with model trains in their garage. Oh to dream.

However, there's a fly in our double steel railed ointment: The scenic trains in Colorado are amazing, popular, and thus not cheap. The Durango & Silverton Narrow Gauge Railroad (the crème de la crème of scenic trains, IMHO) costs $65 a pop. Now, I would happily pay this again and again to ride this train round trip from Durango to Silverton through one of the most beautiful parts of the generally not-ugly Centennial State. I realize, though, that this may be a little rich for some others' blood. (Or am I, yet again, underestimating the extent of everyone's closeted train buffiness?)

There are cheaper options too. Such as the Royal Gorge Railroad, which while not a steam train, still looks wicked awesome. It costs $30 per person. Sadly the Georgetown Loop Railroad is closed for maintenance, or that would be an excellent option. It's close to Denver and a steam train.

OMGWTFLOLZBBQ!!1!!one!1! I just went to the Georgetown Loop site, and it's running again! w00t! This train costs $20 per person. If we're planning to go on Saturday, October 6 (which seems like the best option) we should probably book our tickets now. And hey, if we get 20+ people to come, there are group rates! ;) I think we found a winner.

What do you guys n' gals think?

5 comments:

Werd said...

Try learning how to live on $40 for two weeks. Then we'll talk.

Also, I'm drunk, and I've had to re-type "drunk" at least 43 times.

Crystal said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Crystal said...

so I just deleted my comment because instead of writing "conductor hat" I wrote confuctor hat, which is not at all the wholesome message I was intending to send. And I'm not even drunk.

Werd said...

Loser. Who isn't drunk?

...

It's not not this guy.

...

Wait. It's not this guy.

...

I confuse myself a lot.

Werd said...

I, uh, um.

I'm gonna stop drunk-commenting on your blog.

This weekend.