Monday, August 27, 2007

Backpedaling

OK, correction time: We haven't yet actually decided to move. I may have jumped the gun a little there.

We have a house meeting on Thursday to discuss our options.

But let's have an informal netroots poll first! Please indicate in the comments your preference among the following options (in the interest of transparency, please fully disclose your affiliation with the Marion House):

  1. Move, move, move! The landlord's goin' nazi, the rent's goin' up. Get outta there!
  2. Look around, see what else is out there. If you find a better deal, go for it. If not, stay there.
  3. It's cool if you move as long as you find Marion House 2.0 w/ equal or greater party-having possibilities.
  4. Are you fucking crazy? You can't shut down the Marion House! This is a lot bigger than you, Dan, Will, and Luke now. You don't have the right!
  5. Other (please elaborate)

5 comments:

Dan Stafford said...

I feel like I'm not allowed to answer this online.....but appreciate the sentiment. Now to see if people respond!

Werd said...

I was unofficially 4th/5th roommate for about a month and half, and I have a vested interest in seeing, at the very least, the traditions and spirit of the Hotel Marion continued, seeing as I will no doubt be spending time in some dwelling in Denver. Now that that long sentence is out of the way, my vote would be for three (3). The spirit, moreso than the dwelling itself, is what makes the Hotel Marion appealing to children and voters of all ages.

Crystal said...

Do I really have to explain my connection/freakish attachment to the Marion House?

Anyway, I'm actually kind of torn. On one hand I heart almost everything about the Marion House. I feel more at home there than at my own home (I know that's probably a bad thing, especially consider the Great Christmas Plumbing Disaster of 06) and I'd love it to stay exactly the same forever.

But...it won't stay the same, even if you don't move out. Things Fall Apart, so say Chinua Achebe and a great album by the Roots. Perhaps it's better for the grand old dame Marion to bow out early, leaving 'em wanting more, rather than to drag along into the next generation (just look at what happened to the Malden House in Boston). Wherever you go though, save a spot on the couch for me?

Werd said...

I guess I should have included my AP English teacher's suggestion for our yearbook theme as part this conversation: the poem XII by A.E. Housmann.

"I promise nothing: friends will part;
All things may end, for all began;
And truth and singleness of heart
Are mortal even as is man."

My teacher was a weird guy.

Also, for the second night in a row, I got a li'l tipsy at my friend's parent's house in my hometown. Vacation rulz.

Crystal said...

Aren't you going to post an update for your eager fans?