Monday, July 30, 2007

Simpsons Movie

OK, so the Simpsons movie was really good. I already want to see it again. The reason it was so good is that they didn't worry about the hype. It's a longer episode of the Simpsons with slightly deeper characters and somewhat cooler animation. Both things are subtle, though. I think this was exactly the right way to do it.

Anything with as much hype-potential as THE SIMPSONS MOVIE could easily have been a huge disaster. I knew I had nothing to fear from the opening scene, however. From the 20th Century Fox logo (w/ Ralph singing along to the fanfare inside the zero), they panned up to the moon w/ very melodramatic music in an obvious nod to the potential bad directions they could have taken this movie ("Hey, I know! Let's have The Simpsons... ON THE MOON!!"). Lo and behold, it's an Itchy and Scratchy episode. Brill.

OK, no more spoilers. If you haven't seen it, go. If you have, comment below. And agree w/ me or pay the price. This my house, bitch.

2 comments:

will said...

I've seen it, and heartily endorse this message.

I almost can't help myself but let out a little spoiler - the song has been stuck in my head since Saturday night, but I'll just say that the Simpsons movie has given America an unstoppable new porcine superhero.

Dan Stafford said...

I too heartily endorse the movie. I liked that it was the same basic plot as the show. Homer fucks everything up, and then saves the day, weirdly.

I was a little (and really, just a little) sad that the tier two characters (Apu, Smithers, Burns, Wiggum, Skinner, etc.) got sort of short shrift - with the exception of Flanders.

I was torn as well about some of the themes, which I won't go into here, except to say that 'Omerhay asay adbay atherfay' has been done before, and that was true of a couple themes - at first I thought, 'Give me something new!' But then again, the genius of the Simpsons is that they do their thing so well. So, yes, prob. still torn, but the movie friggin' ruled. Two yellow thumbs way up.